• Triangulated - 2013


    Clothes Whore 2013, 36" x 48" Oil on Canvas

    The latest development, here and I am loving it!  I cannot paint fast enough.  This is where I think I was trying to go all of this time, but it just didn't click in my brain, yet.  

    If you look closely at the more painterly, modern work I was developing with my mentor Aaron Smith, last year, you can see some triangles showing up.  Especially in the nostril area of my painting, "Stache." (see below).


    It seems so obvious to me now this is what I was after using color theory and approximating the image, but I was fighting in my mind any connections to my past working in animation and visual effects.  The triangulated representation is something I see working in computer generated imaging all the time. It flows with all of my color theory study and by painting with glazes these works actually glow in person.  Using an old method to create something new, but to steal from DFA - "Too old to be new and too new to be classic."  Perfect.

    Other points that stick with me is capturing the persona of a person, the aura or the feeling you get when they enter a room... you know? I get jazzed by the tricks our eyes play on us when two colors are side by side and how complimentary colors seem to vibrate!

    P.S. Titles came from the portrait sitter's email handles.

    The subjects are all friends and art comrades, mostly living at the Brewery Arts Complex where I live and work in downtown LA.

    Portraiture has been around since the beginning of time as testaments of power and status. This series pays tribute to a new way of viewing the portrait. Today anyone can have their portrait made.  My interpretation goes beyond capturing a likeness.  These paintings are modern abstractions representing our 8-bit, computer generated counter culture.  No more stuffy, expressionless faces of the Renaissance. This work rejects an academic approach to portraiture and embraces a modern take using nostalgia for old computer imaging and twisting the methods of the masters into something new.

    These will have their debut at the Beverly Hills artSHOW.  May 18th and 19th, Sat and Sunday! 

    My booth is #212 on Beverly Drive near Santa Monica, on the second block of the park.

    The spring show hours are 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.


    Don Don 2013, 36" x 48" Oil on Canvas


    Doom Sayer 2013, 36" x 48" Oil on Canvas


    Envize 2013, 36" x 48" Oil on Canvas


    Frida Study 2013, 20" x 24" Oil on Canvas


    Kupka Study 2013, 20" x 24" Oil on Canvas



    3 comments → Triangulated - 2013

    1. I really love your work!!! very expressive and vibrant
      I share your pictures on my blog
      http://zolinart.blogspot.fr/2013/06/triangulated-by-angie-jones.html

      Tell me if it's a problem for you!

    2. Wow thanks so much for the post!
      ~Angie

    3. Hi Angie,

      I like this new development in your art. Your color choices are working out nicely too. Last century we had cubism, maybe you will start a new movement for the 21st century.... Triangleism!